Some broccoli cheese soup can be laden with fat — but it doesn’t have to be! This broccoli cheese soup recipe uses low-fat ingredients to make it a healthier option, without sacrificing taste. Our favorite sides and toppings for this dish are low-sodium crackers or a toasty piece of whole-wheat bread. For a warm dinner on a chilly night, or a hearty but healthy lunch, this broccoli cheese soup recipe will satisfy your taste buds while helping you stick to your health goals!
1. In a 3- or 4-quart pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add broccoli and onion, and cook over medium heat until broccoli is cooked through.
2. Combine the non fat dry milk and water, and stir it into the pot.
3. Add the cheese cubes and stir until the cheese has melted.
4. Add basil, garlic, cayenne and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree the broccoli cheese soup in small batches until it’s smooth. Or, if you like your soup to be chunky, only puree half of the soup. (See Notes below for more tips.)
6. Add salt to taste. Reheat over low heat if necessary.
Please be careful while blending your broccoli soup. I find an immersion blender (or hand blender) is easiest, because you don’t have to transfer the soup. However, you can also use a regular blender. If you’re using a regular blender, allowing the soup to cool is important, because the steam in the blender can cause pressure and cause the lid to pop off. While you blend the broccoli soup, cover the lid with a dish towel and pause the blender regularly to carefully lift a corner of the lid, allowing steam to escape.
To give this broccoli cheese soup recipe an extra kick, add ¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes along with the garlic, cayenne and basil.