Velvety smooth, rich and decadent!
1. Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a separate, heat-proof bowl, add chocolate chips and ¼ cup of the heavy cream. Place remaining cream in the refrigerator to keep cold until ready to use.)
2. Nest the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth and combined with the cream. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a second large bowl, whisk egg whites for about 3 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
4. Place the remaining 3/4 cup heavy cream in a third large bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate using a rubber spatula, then gently stir in the rest (try not to deflate the whipped cream).
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate-cream mixture until mixed well. Just be sure to not over-mix.
7. Spoon the mousse into serving cups and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves, if desired.
When you separate the egg whites from the yolks, be careful not to get ANY yolk in with the whites. Otherwise, your egg whites will not fluff up the way you need them to.
Thanks to JB411 from St. Louis, MO for submitting this recipe.