1. Bake the cake as directed in a 9 x 13" pan. Let cake cool completely. Poke holes in cooled cake.
2. Mix 1 package orange gelatin dessert with 1 cup boiling water and 1 cup cold water. Pour over cake.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
4. Mix pudding mix with cold milk, the other package of orange gelatin dessert and vanilla.
5. Beat by hand with a whisk until thickened. Fold in the whipped topping.
6. Frost the cake with the pudding mixture.
For a layered Creamsicle Cake: Make the cake batter as directed, then pour batter evenly into 3 round 9" cake pans. Bake cakes as directed and let cool. Then, make the orange gelatin as directed on the package — but with this version, you'll let the gelatin set up instead of pouring it into the cake. We recommend using your round cake pans, or using a 13x17" jelly roll pan (1" deep cookie sheet with edges). Once you pour the liquid gelatin mixture into the pans, it will need to be refrigerated for about 4 hours. Meanwhile, make the pudding mixture according to the original recipe. Finally, layer in this order: cake, gelatin pudding mixture. Repeat once more for a 6-layered Creamsicle Cake.