An easy way to say “I love you” this Valentine's Day!
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and almond extract and beat until well-combined. Add the chopped almonds, lemon zest and the flour mixture to this bowl, stirring until just combined.
3. Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a disk, wrap in plastic, then refrigerate 2 to 3 hours, or until the dough is firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each of the disks into 1/8-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter (2.5-inch circle or heart) to cut out the cookies. Then, use a smaller heart or circle cookie cutter (3/4- or 1-inch) to cut out the center of HALF of the cookies. Re-roll and cut the scraps as necessary.
6. If desired, brush each cookie with the beaten egg whites and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
8. Spread 1 tsp of the jam on the cookies that do not have their centers cut out. Place the remaining cookies on top, creating sandwiches.
The raspberry jam can be replaced with strawberry, red currant or any other sweet red jam of your choosing. If desired, dust the cookies with powdered sugar just before serving.
Thanks to JB411 from St. Louis, MO for submitting this recipe.