Italian Grilled Vegetable and Avocado Sandwich
Prep Time 5-10
Cook Time 0
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 sliced into 1/2 inch thick rings Red Onions
- 2 loaves Twin French Bread Loaves
- 1 tbs. Mustard
- 2 cups chopped greens of your choice, like spinach or lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
NotesThe mustard on each side of the bread will help the veggies from slipping around. The cheese will help with this, too. If you don't want to use mustard or cheese, try mayo. Or, double the avocado and assemble the fillings with avocado on the top and bottom.
This grilled veggie sandwich is easy to customize by including your favorite veggies (or leaving something out!), adding grilled chicken or trying a different type of Portmann's dressing as the marinade!
- Place sliced zucchini, bell pepper and onion in a resealable bag. Pour in the bottle of Portmann's Light Italian Dressing, seal and allow to marinate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Lightly oil the grill grate and preheat the grill.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the plastic bag, place them on the grill over medium heat, and set the remaining dressing aside. Cook vegetables for 2-3 minutes per side, until hot and tender. Remove from grill.
- Slice the French bread to make 4 sandwich loaves. Toast, grill or broil the bread until lightly crisp.
- On the inside of each sandwich (top and bottom), lightly spread the Kurtz mustard. Assemble sandwiches with fillings in this order: Greens, avocado slices, grilled veggies, tomato slices, mozzarella shreds. Enjoy!