Simple ingredients that are naturally bursting with flavor come together in this hearty and savory brunch classic.
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the pie shell in a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
2. Sauté the zucchini and onion in olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and zucchini is tender but not translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add garlic, cook for 30 more seconds. Cover the bottom of the pie shell with this mixture.
4. Brown the Italian sausage until cooked through, then layer on top of the zucchini.
5. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour in to the pie shell. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top of the quiche is golden brown.
To create a more crust-like top, leave out the mozzarella until the end. Sprinkle it on top and broil for the last 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot or cold with crusty Italian bread.