Named after the nut of a buckeye tree, these peanut butter, chocolate candies are a great holiday party treat.
Prep Time 45
Cook Time 0
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (softened) butter
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pkg semi sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in a large bowl until evenly mixed.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the cookie sheet. Insert a toothpick into the top of each ball and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Melt chocolate chips. (Melt in the microwave: put them in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on half power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each time until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Or use a double boiler on the stovetop.)
- Holding onto the toothpick, dip the frozen peanut butter balls in the melted chocolate, covering them almost all the way. The small portion of uncovered peanut butter will give them their buckeye look.
- Return them to the cookie sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate is firm. Store in an air-tight container, and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.